Which is the most coveted and sought after trophy in sports on earth? I am sure no one has to think twice. It is the FIFA World Cup trophy. But what do we know about this famous trophy other than the fact that it is made up of gold? Let us know some startling facts and the history of the FIFA World Cup trophy.
- From 1930 to 1970, the Jules Rimet trophy originally named’ victory’ was awarded to the winners. The Brazilian team won the tournament for the third time in 1970, allowing them to keep the real trophy in perpetuity, as had been stipulated by Jules Rimet in 1930.
- A new trophy was commissioned in 1974 and Italian artist Silvio Gazzaniga was awarded the commission.
- The FIFA World Cup trophy stands at 14.4 inches or 36.5 centimeters tall with a base of 5.1 inches or 13 centimeters containing dual layers of Malachite or a copper carbonate hydroxide mineral.
- The trophy is made up of 18-carat solid gold and weighs at 6.175 kilograms.
- At the time when the trophy was first made it cost around fifty thousand dollars. Today the valuation of the trophy is more than ten million dollars.
- The trophy is a depiction of two human figures holding up the earth.
- The trophy has the engraving “FIFA World Cup” on its base. After 1994, a plate was added to the base of the trophy, on which the names of winning countries are engraved, names therefore not visible when the trophy is standing upright. The inscriptions state the year in figures and the name of the winning nation in its national language.
- Germany is the only nation to lift the new trophy 3 times. Italy, Argentina, and Brazil has won it twice.
Great piece of info. Short and precise. Good job. 👍🏻
Thank you…hope I can write more such blogs which will enlighten people with more information…